The People Vs. George Lucas

The Man

THE TRIAL OF THE MILLENIUM BEGINS...

<object width="720" height="455"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/8822"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/8822" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="455"></embed></object>

OFFICIAL WEBSITE...

george-doesnt-care3.jpg

Indy's brother

Lucas bashing has reached new heights, or a new low, depending on your position on the subject. Personally, I have heard enough whining about G.L. to last me a lifetime already, and I will not voluntarily subject myself to this. To obsess about the guy on this level* is disturbing and unhealthy.

* by making the film, participating in it, or by spending money to view it

TheDarkCrusader

These demented SW fans/Lucas haters disgust me. They're overly fanatical about this movie franchise like it's a religion or something. Maybe it would've been better if Lucas said a long time ago after he finished the first trilogy "You know what? I'm done with Star Wars" and moved on to make other movie franchises (besides Indiana Jones). It's like Lucas has a bag of **** and gives it to his fans but they throw it back at him, it's an ongoing cycle. If you ask me, I think Lucas is too nice to his fanbase by feeding them all kinds of SW merchandise to the point where they watch every move he makes.

deckard24

TheDarkCrusader said:
If you ask me, I think Lucas is too nice to his fanbase by feeding them all kinds of SW merchandise to the point where they watch every move he makes.
I don't think it's about Lucas being nice, but rather a savvy businessman! The guy is worth over 5 billion dollars, with the majortiy of that coming from the Star Wars franchise and the merchandise. I'm sure for him it really doesn't matter if some of the more obsessive fans get all riled up, because at the end of the day he's laughing all the way to the bank from the proceeds of each new wave of action figures and DVD re-relases of the films. The same toys and DVDs that the obsessive haters end up buying regardless!

Morning Bell

It's an interesting premise but ultimately it looks like a bunch of adults crying and whining about films they didn't like. I've heard all that stuff before.

Granted, I wasn't crazy about the prequels (except for Episode III, which I thought was pretty good) but I in no way feel that my childhood was stolen or "raped", as they say. I stay have fond memories of watching Star Wars as a child and collecting the toys. No amount of new films or merchandise will ruin that and I think the whiners need to grow up and spend more time focusing on what they like instead of what didn't meet their expectations. Just my two cents.:)

HovitosKing

Guilty as charged. Let's discuss the sentencing...

The real question is...when is this hitting DVD? I can guarantee it won't be in any theaters near me.

RedeemedChild

I will have no part in this!

I've grown weary of people mocking and disrespecting George Lucas. If you don't like what he does then simply look the other way. Why mock one of the greatest film makers of all time?

RedeemedChild

Niteshade007 said:
That's kind of a stretch...

The man is creative, yes. His filmmaking skills aren't amazing.

Well Niteshade007 you might say that in your own opinion his film making skills are not that amazing. As far as I'm concerned his film creating skills are better than those of Michael Bay.

Personally I think that Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Jerry Bruckheimer and James Francis Cameron are the greatest movie makers of our time since Cecil B. DeMille's "The Ten Commandments, William Wyler's Ben-Hur.

I simply can't understand why you do not see George Lucas as a great film maker. George Lucas impressed me greatly with The Empire Strikes Back, The Phantom Menace, Revenge of the Sith, Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade.

In fact I think that The Empire Strikes Back is the greatest movie of all when it comes to the classic Star Wars Trilogy. I also think that The Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith are the best movies in the prequel trilogy.

The Duel of The Fates between Qui Gonn Jinn, Obi Wan and Darth Maul is simply the best lightsaber duel in all of Star Wars and the fateful battle between Anakin and Obi Wan Kenobi in Revenge of the Sith is plain splendid.

If you think that George Lucas is bad film maker than I know not what to say for you.

Nurhachi1991

A video about a bunch of fat losers complaining.

I have no bad feelings against Jar Jar because I saw episode 1 when I was 9 and have not watched it since but from what I remember it was pretty good

Hmmmm I bet if I saw Indy 4 when I was 9 it would of been the greatest movie ever!

Indy's brother

You know, a documentary compiled of honest interviews with his contemporaries (film makers) would be much more compelling. Otherwise, they might as well make a documentary about this thread or the thousands of other threads about Lucas that have been, are, and will be circulated around the web.

Last edited:

Niteshade007

RedeemedChild said:
Well Niteshade007 you might say that in your own opinion his film making skills are not that amazing. As far as I'm concerned his film creating skills are better than those of Michael Bay.

The Michael Bay reference kind of throws me. I never mentioned him, nor do I think he is anything special, so not really sure what you're going for there.

RedeemedChild said:
I simply can't understand why you do not see George Lucas as a great film maker. George Lucas impressed me greatly with The Empire Strikes Back, The Phantom Menace, Revenge of the Sith, Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Last Crusade.

Lucas only wrote and directed two of the films you listed, both of which were pretty much universally panned. He produced the others and came up with the basic concept for them, which is why I said that he was creative. I will certainly give him credit for that, and he deserves it.

RedeemedChild said:
In fact I think that The Empire Strikes Back is the greatest movie of all when it comes to the classic Star Wars Trilogy.

So do I, but he just came up with idea for it, he didn't write or direct it.

RedeemedChild said:
If you think that George Lucas is bad film maker than I know not what to say for you.

You stated your opinion, and I can't really agree with it. I will agree that the lightsaber duel in Phantom Menace was pretty cool. But I don't view it as a classic scene or one of those iconic Hollywood moments.

As I said, as a creative person, the "ideas man," he's good. He came up with something as timeless as Star Wars, and that is to be applauded. However, as a writer and director, he fails to impress me.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
WrathofGod said:
Darth Vader (OT): Luke, I am your father.

Darth Vader (PT): 3PO, I am your father.

LMAO!!!!

Well, he was "more machine now than man"! :p

Anyway... The filmmakers of the doco themselves may not be bashers necessarily. The topic is of interest and has been going on for a very long time on the net, though I personally think the endevour borders on pointless. It wouldn't turn Lucas' head anytime soon (because of*insert whatever turkey neck joke you like here, bashers*) mostly coz he don't care.

I am kind of 50-50 in filmmaking terms about Lucas. Like Niteshade said, he is a great ideas guy, but writing could be an improvement. Producing is not bad though, I love Willow and I love The Labyrinth. I don't hate the Ewok movies. They cutesy but not the worst I've seen. I adore the YIJC. I just don't like his attitude particularly towards KOTCS.

RedeemedChild

Niteshade007 said:
The Michael Bay reference kind of throws me. I never mentioned him, nor do I think he is anything special, so not really sure what you're going for there.

Lucas only wrote and directed two of the films you listed, both of which were pretty much universally panned. He produced the others and came up with the basic concept for them, which is why I said that he was creative. I will certainly give him credit for that, and he deserves it.

So do I, but he just came up with idea for it, he didn't write or direct it.

You stated your opinion, and I can't really agree with it. I will agree that the lightsaber duel in Phantom Menace was pretty cool. But I don't view it as a classic scene or one of those iconic Hollywood moments.

As I said, as a creative person, the "ideas man," he's good. He came up with something as timeless as Star Wars, and that is to be applauded. However, as a writer and director, he fails to impress me.

I like your style Niteshade007. I'm sorry for sending you far in left field with my Michael Bay remark. I brought Bay up not because of anything you said but because of something I read elsewhere on the internet in reference to Mr. Lucas and it was eating me up. I had to let it out if you know what I mean. I'm sorry if I offended you in manner. You seem like a nice person.

I just get a little irritated when people come down on Lucas. I really admire George Lucas and the empire he has created with the whole Star Wars franchise. I'm sorry for being so agitated. Everyone is entitled to their own ideas and views.

jonesissparrow

Honestly I really don't see a big deal over Lucas maybe its because I'm not a HUGE Star Wars fan like everyone else is so I can't get into the "George Lucas raped my childhood" bandwagon.

MaxPhactor23

Looks fascinating to me. Like or hate it, Lucas hate has become a very large part of fandom. A huge amount (arguably a majority) of fans have grown to loathe the man and what he’s become; a greed induced businessman. He’s inarguably changed his ways. That much is universally accepted. Wherever you go involving his franchises, you’re bound to run into Lucas bashing these days. It’s rampant. Like or hate it…it cannot be ignored. It’s officially part of the experience.

I blame it on George, not the fans expectations. No matter how high they were, I’m positive that better movies could have been made. No matter how you weigh it, I’m of the opinion that the prequels and Crystal Skull could have easily been made more in the spirit of the originals. Huge expectations or not, it was a crappy attempt nonetheless. More ties to the original Star Wars trilogy should have been made. Villains could and should have been used instead of birthing the long-running laundry list of expendably dense bad guys. The acting made the original trilogy look Oscar-worthy. The over-use of CGI blatantly derailed their performances. The list of wrongs is much higher then rights as far as I’m concerned. You can't please everyone, but you can please a majority. In that respect, Lucas failed. At the very greatest it seems pretty accepted that they're at least lesser compared to the classic trilogies. That's at best.

But personally, with the quality of his later films and writing, I think the “fat fans that take it too seriously” are the ones that complain about the complaining. This stuff is so sub par and different by comparison that it deserves to be criticized. Mindlessly defend George like lemmings. Gobble up all he puts out there like brainwashed zombies. Don't form opinions for themselves. That's not the way to be. What’s it ultimately to them what others think? When you're as large fan of Star Wars or Indiana Jones as I am...it's not as simple as completely ignoring a crappy installment that drastically effects the former classic films continuity. It's more insulting if anything.

Oh and BTW...saying George is a better director then Bay...well that pretty much isn't saying anything at all. Hah!

Last edited: