Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Russian Translation Thread

Udvarnoky

In the Last Crusade graphic adventure game in Brunwald castle, Indy has to either talk or fight his way past patrolling Nazis. One of them you can actually convince that you're a leather jacket salesman. The line was spoofed in The Secret of Monkey Island, another LucasArts adventure game, in 1990, and it just kind of became this long running injoke, with the line often appearing inexplicably in dialogue trees. The line was actually humorously referenced in the recent Sam & Max games (which are developed by people who used to work at LucasArts back in the day), so it's apparently still going strong.

Trivia!

Agent Z

The Golden Idol said:
Why do you keep saying that?

Ohh, I looked at common Russian to English translations and it listed "pemy" as "bump"....which, is apparently (very) incorrect. :p

I just did a search for "bump" again and another page had "удар". Is that any closer? :confused:

This is what I hate about finding translations on the web..especially for Russian to English...which seems more miss than hit online.

Golden Idol, where have you been?!? :D It's great to finally have a fan fluent in Russian to help us out here and over at the Spalko forum. :)

Is Russian your native tongue, or did you pick it up as a second language? If you did pick it up as a second language, was it rather difficult? After I finish Spanish, I would love to try Russian, even though I've been told that it is one of the more difficult languages to pick up. A very beautiful and pleasing language to the ear, I think.

Thanks for contributing to this thread. We were bummed that the Paramount dvd release not only didn't offer English translations for the Russian dialogue, but didn't even acknowledge that Russian was being spoken! (n)

The Golden Idol

Agent Z said:
Ohh, I looked at common Russian to English translations and it listed "pemy" as "bump"....which, is apparently (very) incorrect. :p

That's so wrong it's funny. :p

Agent Z said:
I just did a search for "bump" again and another page had "удар". Is that any closer? :confused:

Actually, удар means "hit". I don't think there's a Russian word or expression for the forum kind of "bump".

Agent Z said:
Golden Idol, where have you been?!? :D It's great to finally have a fan fluent in Russian to help us out here and over at the Spalko forum. :)

I'll be glad to help.

Agent Z said:
Is Russian your native tongue, or did you pick it up as a second language? If you did pick it up as a second language, was it rather difficult? After I finish Spanish, I would love to try Russian, even though I've been told that it is one of the more difficult languages to pick up. A very beautiful and pleasing language to the ear, I think.

It's my native language. What's funny about KOTCS is that all of the soldiers have perfect Russian pronunciation (since the actors are Russian), while Spalko's is often a bit off. Oh, well, at least more effort went into it than in Rocky IV, where Ivan Drago was just babbling gibberish!

Agent Z said:
Thanks for contributing to this thread. We were bummed that the Paramount dvd release not only didn't offer English translations for the Russian dialogue, but didn't even acknowledge that Russian was being spoken! (n)

What do you mean? I don't have the DVD, so can you explain?

Kooshmeister

When Spalko bails out of the car and sees the truck coming and motions with her hand, what's she say? She repeats it as they're running across the clearing a minute later (I assume it means, "Come on!").

Also love to know what she and the soldier are yelling when being mauled by the monkeys. XD

Agent Z

The Golden Idol said:
It's my native language. What's funny about KOTCS is that all of the soldiers have perfect Russian pronunciation (since the actors are Russian), while Spalko's is often a bit off. Oh, well, at least more effort went into it than in Rocky IV, where Ivan Drago was just babbling gibberish!

Well, Cate jokingly apologized in interviews about her accent...and she may have been including the improper Russian in there as well. As Cate mentioned, the character of Spalko is kinda played with a camp value in mind, so I wasn't expecting her to roll out perfect Russian anway.

In the SE dvd extras, Cate mentioned that she would be going to Andrew Divoff and Pavel Lynchnikoff for tips on her Russian...paraphrasing now..."asking them how to say things like 'Get that bastard!' in Russian" :p

The Golden Idol said:
What do you mean? I don't have the DVD, so can you explain?

When there is any Russian being spoken in the film, there are no subtitles. At all.

Granted, one can infer, for the most part, that it is Russian being spoken, but it still seems rather lazy and awkward not to even throw in one subtitle mentioning that Russian is being spoken while it is happening on the screen.

The Golden Idol

Agent Z said:
Well, Cate jokingly apologized in interviews about her accent...and she may have been including the improper Russian in there as well. As Cate mentioned, the character of Spalko is kinda played with a camp value in mind, so I wasn't expecting her to roll out perfect Russian anway.

In the SE dvd extras, Cate mentioned that she would be going to Andrew Divoff and Pavel Lynchnikoff for tips on her Russian...paraphrasing now..."asking them how to say things like 'Get that bastard!' in Russian" :p

Well, her Russian was better than I expected it to be in the movie. :)

Agent Z

"We will do this, what is expression, old-fashioned way."

Hey guys, I'm working on a piece, doing a breakdown of the film in various aspects.

Part of that breakdown is, yes, the Russian phrases being translated.

To make matters somewhat easier, I'll go chapter by chapter...and post screencaps of the Russian being spoken.

For those offering translations, please be as thorough as possible and, in the event that it comes up, explain where something doesn't seem to translate properly...but give an approximation all the same.

I will include some translations already with a few of the screencaps. If one deems these improper translations..or not complete...please offer up your voice on those as well.

If I miss a scene where Russian is being spoken, please pm me and I will screencap that scene and include it as well.

I realize that there is also background Russian, such as in the scene where we first hear Mac and Indy discussing their dire situation. If someone wants to include that background dialogue as well, feel free to post those translations.

Perhaps to seed the clouds, if someone else has the energy and inclination to do so, translation threads for the previous three films would seem like a welcome venture too.

Thanks in advance to all those who contribute. :hat:

Let's begin, shall we? :)

Chapter One: "Nevada, 1957"

RT001.jpg

Andrew Divoff: "Engineer, open the gate!"

RT002.jpg

Pavel Lynchnikoff: "Faster, faster, faster!"

RT003.jpg

Dovchenko: ""Put his arms behind his back."

RT004.jpg

Irina: "Prasteete!" = "Excuse me!"

RT005.jpg

Soldier: "Ready, comrade Colonel."

Irina: "Davai!" = "Do it!" / "Let's go!" / "Go ahead!"

Last edited:

The Golden Idol

Agent Z said:
"We will do this, what is expression, old-fashioned way."

Hey guys, I'm working on a piece, doing a breakdown of the film in various aspects.

Part of that breakdown is, yes, the Russian phrases being translated.

To make matters somewhat easier, I'll go chapter by chapter...and post screencaps of the Russian being spoken.

For those offering translations, please be as thorough as possible and, in the event that it comes up, explain where something doesn't seem to translate properly...but give an approximation all the same.

I will include some translations already with a few of the screencaps. If one deems these improper translations..or not complete...please offer up your voice on those as well.

If I miss a scene where Russian is being spoken, please pm me and I will screencap that scene and include it as well.

I realize that there is also background Russian, such as in the scene where we first hear Mac and Indy discussing their dire situation. If someone wants to include that background dialogue as well, feel free to post those translations.

Perhaps to seed the clouds, if someone else has the energy and inclination to do so, translation threads for the previous three films would seem like a welcome venture too.

Thanks in advance to all those who contribute. :hat:

Let's begin, shall we? :)

RT001.jpg

Andrew Divoff: "Engineer, open the gate!"

RT002.jpg

Pavel Lynchnikoff: "Faster, faster, faster!"

RT003.jpg

Dovchenko: ?

RT004.jpg

Irina: "Prasteete!" / "Excuse me!"

RT005.jpg

Soldier: ?

Irina: "Davai!" / "Let's go!"

Hey, I'm your guy, remember? ;)

Dovchenko says "Put his arms behind his back."
The soldier says "Ready, comrade Colonel."

BTW, "Davai" (as spoken by Spalko) doesn't only have to mean "Let's go", it can also mean "Go ahead" or "Do it", which might fit the situation more in this case.

Hope this helps!

Also, since you have written out "Prasteete" and "Davai", do you want me to write out the other Russian words and phrases phonetically?

Agent Z

The Golden Idol said:
Hey, I'm your guy, remember? ;)

Dovchenko says "Put his arms behind his back."
The soldier says "Ready, comrade Colonel."

BTW, "Davai" (as spoken by Spalko) doesn't only have to mean "Let's go", it can also mean "Go ahead" or "Do it", which might fit the situation more in this case.

Hope this helps!

Hey Golden Idol! Of course I thought of you when I came back to this thread, but I didn't want to bog you down with all of this either! :p

I mean, if I need to wine and dine a Russian Language professor at the local university, you know I will! :p

Wow! It's so cool to get these translations! Really helpful and neat to see what is being spoken! (y)

I'm also sharing these translations with the fellow Spalkonians at agentspalko.com, so I know they will appreciate your efforts! :hat:

The Golden Idol said:
Also, since you have written out "Prasteete" and "Davai", do you want me to write out the other Russian words and phrases phonetically?

If it's not a hassle, that would be great as well! I'm going to compile as many of the translations as possible and post them all in one piece eventually...so, it would be great to have the piece as thorough as possible for any fan on the web to check out.

Thanks again Golden Idol! (y)

Last edited:

The Golden Idol

Agent Z said:
Hey Golden Idol! Of course I thought of you when I came back to this thread, but I didn't want to bog you down with all of this either! :p

I mean, if I need to wine and dine a Russian Language professor at the local university, you know I will! :p

Wow! It's so cool to get these translations! Really helpful and neat to see what is being spoken! (y)

That would be great as well! I'm going to compile as many of the translations as possible and post them all in one piece eventually...so, it would be great to have it as thorough as possible for any fan on the web to check out.

Thanks again Golden Idol! (y)

LOL, no problem! :D

Here we go:

RT001.jpg

Andrew Divoff: "Enginer, otkrit vorota!" = "Engineer, open the gate!"

RT002.jpg

Pavel Lynchnikoff: "Bistrey, bistrey, bistrey!" = "Faster, faster, faster!"

RT003.jpg

Dovchenko: "Vasmite imu ruki za spinoy." = "Put his arms behind his back."

RT004.jpg

Irina: "Prasteete!" = "Excuse me!"

RT005.jpg

Soldier: "Gotova, tavarish polkovnik." = "Ready, comrade Colonel."

Irina: "Davai!" = "Do it!" / "Let's go!" / "Go ahead!"

There we go! (y)

Bring on the next chapter! :D

Agent Z

The Golden Idol said:
Bring on the next chapter! :D

Here we go guys....:hat:

Chapter Two: "The Warehouse"

RT006.jpg

Dovchenko: "He wants my bullets!"

RT007.jpg

Irina:

RT008.jpg

Irina:

RT009.jpg

Dovchenko:

RT010.jpg

Irina:

RT011.jpg

Irina: "Hand me a knife."

Soldier:

RT012.jpg

Irina: "Moyo zolotse" = "My gold"

The Golden Idol

RT006.jpg

Dovchenko: "On hotchet moyi potroni" = "He wants my bullets!"

RT007.jpg

Irina:

RT008.jpg

Irina:

RT009.jpg

Dovchenko:

RT010.jpg

Irina:

RT011.jpg

Irina: "Dayte mne nozh" = "Hand me a knife."

Soldier:

RT012.jpg

Irina: "Moyo zolotse" = "My precious" (Even though "gold" is the literal translation, it means something more like "precious" in this scene)

Agent Z

The Golden Idol said:
I need to check the movie again to translate the Russian. I'll post the rest soon.

Hey Golden Idol, thanks for the attempt. Really, you are too much. :D

I think I can help along though in the meantime... :)

I think this is the correct translation:

RT010.jpg

Irina: "Keep your sexy thoughts of me restricted to off-duty hours!"

The Golden Idol

Agent Z said:
Hey Golden Idol, thanks for the attempt. Really, you are too much. :D

I think I can help along though in the meantime... :)

I think this is the correct translation:

RT010.jpg

Irina: "Keep your sexy thoughts of me restricted to off-duty hours!"

LOL, that's almost right. ;)

I checked the movie again; here you go:

RT006.jpg

Dovchenko: "On hotchet moyi potroni" = "He wants my bullets!"

RT007.jpg

Irina: "Schivelitis!" = "Move!"

RT008.jpg

Irina: "Naydite!" = "Find it!"

RT009.jpg

Dovchenko: "Vse komne! Zabadite mashinu, schivelitis, bistro!" = "Everyone come to me! Rev up the car, move, fast!"

When the soldiers are taking out the crate, they say "Taschite! Tak tochno! Davai, davai!" which means "Pull! Yes sir! Come on, come on!" When they lift the crate they say "Ras, dva, tri!" which means, predictably, "One, two, three!"

RT010.jpg

Irina: "Nisite v machinu!" = "Take it to the car!"

RT011.jpg

Irina: "Dayte mne nozh" = "Hand me a knife."

Soldier: "Nozh, bistro!" = "A knife, quick!"

RT012.jpg

Irina: "Moyo zolotse" = "My precious" (Even though "gold" is the literal translation, it means something more like "precious" in this scene)