Are Movies Dead???

Joe Brody

. . . and are Video Games poised to take the place of movies as the dominant form of mass entertainment?

A number of factors has brought me to this conclusion: (i) the ever-increasing quality of graphics, especially with the new chips, (ii) multi-player games allow for a new level of interactivity that makes for a superior social experience compared to movies, (iii) I believe the narrative quality of some of the new games rivals that of movies, and (iv) extra features, like the cool soundtracks in the Grand Theft Auto games increases the user experience. Put it all together and how can a movie compare . . . especially if users are playing at home on huge screen TV's (the last factor -- bigger higher resolution TV's).

Not to mention movies suck ass right now -- and the industry is on the verge of significant change wrought by DVD's and other up & coming forms of transmission.

Jay R. Zay

are computer games dead?

(i) the ever-increasing quality of special effects, especially CGI, (ii) visiting a movie with your friends doesn't start any controversial competition, you are on the same side, unlike in many computer games, (iii) there is no denying the fact that *movies* tell the stories, despite the fact that some computer games do, too, (iv) extra features like soundtracks, making ofs, alternate endings increase the user experience. put it all together - how can a computer game compare?

does reality-tv kill movies?

(i) the ever-increasing quality of video footage, (ii) situations taken from real life are entertainment and education at the same time, plus, they support the role of every single individual in modern society, (iii) i believe that some true stories are more interesting than some movies, (iv) extras like tips for your own life, fan clothes, etc, integrate you into this system. how can movies compare?

does car driving kill movies?

(i) the ever-increasing safety and comfort of driving, (ii) tuning can make the ride for your friends interesting, too. some tv screens, loud musik - there you go. (iii) i believe that at 150 mph a ride on the highway turns into an action racing movie, (iv) special entertainment, for example shows like "pimp my ride" and many magazines, fan clubs and websites for car styling and tuning increases the ecstasy.

you are comparing two completely different things. you play computer games to find some kind of a competition, you want to increase your skills or show how good you are. movies don't ask you to play a role. sit back and relax. it's something completely different. it's not like i *ever* had to think about whether i should play a game now or watch a movie. the fact that both of them are based on living pictures doesn't make them competitors. there will always be movies and video games, because these are very different types of entertainment.

Paden

I think one aspect of the box-office slump has to do with the technological advances in home theatre. Many people, in America at least, are able to afford DVD players, and some can, through large screen television and the judicious use of home sound equipment, replicate much of the "big screen" experience at home. Hence, I think Hollywood must factor DVD sales into their thinking with regards to the cash returns on a given movie. But, at least to my limited perception, not being involved in the movie business, I think that Hollywood is already beginning to adapt to changing conditions. There are movies (Resident Evil and The Punisher come to mind) that did not perform in any outstanding way at the box office, that ultimately had sequels ordered based on DVD sales. The method of delivery of movies may be changing, but I don't think that spells doom for the movie industry.

As to the question of gaming, technology has admittedly been able to produce a level of immersion in console and computer gaming that was unheard of several years ago. While there is no doubt that, in particular, console gaming has become a juggernaut in terms of raking in entertainment dollars, I'm doubtful about games supplanting movies. I think that gaming offers a different way to present a story (when telling a story is the goal), based around the player's interaction with the game "world". This kind of storytelling will no doubt provide game makers with the ability to present narratives in some innovative ways. (A game that fits this idea, to a degree, is the computer game Aliens vs. Predator 2, in which the player has the ability to play a Marine, a Predator, and an Alien, seeing the same underlying story from three differing perspectives.) But while gaming can offer such alternatives, I don't think that games will supplant movies. I think the two will co-exist, much like movies and fiction books have already done.

roundshort

Joe, I think you hit on something, you know some big time producers are going to release movies, dvd, and cable (payperview) at the same time. When it costs $10.00 per person to see a movie and another $10.00 to $20.00 for snacks, not to mention the drive, the wait, the randomness of who you sit beside, I hate those airborne illnesses, It makes sense to dial up a movie for $15.00, buy a DVD for around $10 to $200 or net flick it.
It is really sad when it is becoming cheaper to take a family of 4 to a ballgame than a movie, and we all know that a even a bad ballgame is better than a good movie (Indy withstanding).

How many times have you walked out of a movie and it has sucked, vs. renting a netflick, not finishing it and returning it.

Over the last the 8 years I lived in a town without a real theather, and I probably have built up a 500 to 600 dvd collection of my favorites, classics, etc dvds, if there is nothing new I just dig through my collection and pop in an old favorite, ir something random. (I never watch t.v., except sports and football season is mighty short.

I think Steven Soderbergh is going to release his next three movies on dvd, payperview and theathers at the same time. If this works all has changed.

I haven't played video games since pac-man and a short lived attempt at sonic the hedgehog in my early college days, but I liked drinking and girls better,
still do ;)

roundshort

I sadi Ball game, Basketball, football, Lacrosse, ruby, anything that involes teams and a ball, usually a good way to let time pass, but if paint gets you off . . .

Paden

roundshort said:
Joe, I think you hit on something, you know some big time producers are going to release movies, dvd, and cable (payperview) at the same time. When it costs $10.00 per person to see a movie and another $10.00 to $20.00 for snacks, not to mention the drive, the wait, the randomness of who you sit beside, I hate those airborne illnesses, It makes sense to dial up a movie for $15.00, buy a DVD for around $10 to $200 or net flick it.

*Ducking the lead flying between roundshort and ClintonHammond*

Good point. Going out to the movies, just for me and my spouse, has become fairly expensive. Even more when we take our son. Frankly, ticket prices have forced us to be fairly selective about what we go and see. Anything that we're lukewarm about generally doesn't get seen until it hits DVD.

" ticket prices have forced us to be fairly selective"

A bunch of theatres in Ontario dropped prices last month (maybe the one before) from 11+ bucks to... ummm... 8 something I think... and surprise surprise, the concession stand prices didn't go up at all!! LOL

Home Entertainment quality.... Dropping DVD prices (we saw the same sort of box-office slump happen in the height of the "VHS Age") Excessive Movie Previews (people are seeing WAY more in the previews now, and so CAN decide way ahead of time not to see a movie in theatre) are all factors...

I suspect there are others too...

"*Ducking the lead flying...*"
Lead? It's just an opinion... Sack up a little and try not to take it so seriously... sheesh...

Jay R. Zay

is it just me or are you discussing something entirely different (again)? we were talking about movies vs. computer games, weren't we? not cinema vs. DVD. just for the record, new DVDs are much cheaper than new video games, in general.

Tangents happen all the time in good conversation.... here... drink this... and just try to go with it :)

"new DVDs are much cheaper than new video games"
But video games have more BANG for their buck.... GTA:SA has been called a 1000 hour game... even at 80 bucks when it first came out, you'd need to spend a LOT more than 80 bucks on DVDs to get that much 'entertainment'

Paden

ClintonHammond said:
Excessive Movie Previews (people are seeing WAY more in the previews now, and so CAN decide way ahead of time not to see a movie in theatre) are all factors....

True, plus many with Internet access can view trailers online, enhancing the selection process.

Side Tangent: One thing I will say that gets on my nerves about the theatre experience now is having to watch commercials. I have to endure enough of these on the occasions I watch television. Why do I have to sit through more when I've paid to see a film? :mad: Fortunately, one of the two major theatres here has eliminated all commercials, a move I admire. At the other theatre I know I can just arrive at least five minutes late for showtime. ;)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

ClintonHammond said:
"*Ducking the lead flying...*"
Lead? It's just an opinion... Sack up a little and try not to take it so seriously... sheesh...

It was just an attempt at humor, Clinton. Honest.

Last edited:

roundshort

Well, no J-Z has a good point the title is are movies dead, and one point was about the more high-tech video games, but I think with a title are movies dead we can grip about all we want, as a mid 30's guy who has never played video games i am the first to admit that I have nothing to talk about, although I do get worry when video game chicks start to be hotter than real chicks . . .

But I think it is important to look at all the reasons why box-office movies keep going down, But with more and more $$$ being spent on movies why are they not better. I always use Key Largo and rear window, here are two no sfx and low budget movies that keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time, so that proves that bucks do not need to be spent on movies.

And as far as lead, I invite anyone to sling some my way, I love it,
J-Z you want competion play sports i recommend Rugy, American rules football or at best Lacrosse (hockey counts) you will never pick up a video game again, I would rather taste my own blood in my mouth than watch gallons, liters sorry, of computer animated crap any day of the week, meet me in the park, bring your clets . . .

"having to watch commercials"
Don't even get me STARTED!

"play sports"
Oh... sure... PLAY sports! That'as a blast... Buncha mates out in a field chasing a ball... Case of beer in the cooler... fantastic... but to sit in ANY chair and watch a bunch of overpaid children run around in their colours... blech... I'd rather watch flies mate!

Jay R. Zay

first of all, i would be grateful if you could manage to spell my name correctly or call me jay.

furthermore i have not discussed my own position against or in favor of computer games, i have discussed the question whether movies are dead or not, and you are obviously unable to come to a reasonable conclusion about my opinion about video games just from reading my initial reply.

did i mention i was looking for competition? nope. did i mention i liked computer games? nope. did i mention that i even *played* computer games? nope. i assume you have no idea of my lifestyle, of my interests and where, if i sought it, i find my competition. sports isn't the only kind of "real" competition that life offers, you should have an open mind for other opportunities to use your skills. i'm trying many new things so there is competition enough for me, even without video games and rugby.

which, once again, distracts us from the original topic.

""new DVDs are much cheaper than new video games"
But video games have more BANG for their buck.... GTA:SA has been called a 1000 hour game... even at 80 bucks when it first came out, you'd need to spend a LOT more than 80 bucks on DVDs to get that much 'entertainment'"

plus, you can play tetris for your whole life, yet i'd still buy a DVD every once in a while.

TombReader

ClintonHammond said:
"play sports"
Oh... sure... PLAY sports! That'as a blast... Buncha mates out in a field chasing a ball... Case of beer in the cooler... fantastic... but to sit in ANY chair and watch a bunch of overpaid children run around in their colours... blech... I'd rather watch flies mate!

Clinton,we finally agree on something...except for that part about the flies mating,though. :p

I don't think that video games will ever surpass movies just because old(er) people will go to movies,but I don't think that too many senior citizens would be interested in GTA:Vice City.Just a hunch. :)

IAdventurer01

A story is a story. The medium that tells the story changes. Movies are doing poorly because, frankly, they stink. Many of their stories just arent enjoyable. Part of this is caused by the process it takes to make a movie. Many hoops are needed to be jumped through.

People who have good stories and are truely passionate about them want to share them, but they must choose their platform. Books, Movies, and Video Games are all platforms on which to tell their stories. For those who want more than just words they are left with Movies and Video Games. For the most part, Video games are currently easier to make. That is why Video Game's stories are improving while movies are getting worse and worse.

Just a theory. :p