Ideas For New Indy Actor

curmudgeon

See, if I was in charge, I would go with the 1920's "college-Indy" option and let that actor grow into the Indy of the 30's.

I think it would help reduce/deflect the new actor's inevitable comparison to Ford's version, by having both the character and actor start off in a different place in life than Indy in the original films.

To a certain degree, it would also give the audience an option of treating that film as either a prequel/extension of the older series, or the beginning of a reboot series.

Finn

Staff member
Forbidden Eye said:
Um, I wasn't staying of Pratt was castes as Indiana Jones for a future movie that he would be dancing on set, I merely singled out that one scene to point out that in Guardians his entire performance is comedic which isn't a tone I'd want for Indy.
Are you referring to the series as a whole or just the character? Because the tone of the series itself is certainly very far from serious - it's in fact very much screwball. Ford himself does use somewhat deadpan delivery, making Indy kind of a straight man in a rather wacky world. But as it's been stated numerous times, it would actually be a detriment towards the character if the new face was to simply copy Ford's mannerisms rather than bring something of his own to it.

I've no opinion really how Pratt could possibly handle it. Also it does appear that he's a popular option now thanks to way he looks, not how he acts. Then again, that is kind of an important point unless Indy is turned into a legacy character like James Bond. If there's no reboot or otherwise muddled continuity, one has to be able to believe it's simply the same guy at a different age. While the looks may be rather silly as the selling point, it still is less so than arguing that one would do good because he acts in a similar manner. I always found it groansome when people constantly brought up Nathan Fillion simply because there were some similar mannerisms in Mal Reynolds.

That being said, the bottom line with Pratt is that right now there aren't any real good arguments for having him - but the ones against him are equally weak.

curmudgeon said:
See, if I was in charge, I would go with the 1920's "college-Indy" option and let that actor grow into the Indy of the 30's.
Are there really any other options? If there's no reboot, the obvious point on the timeline is between where Flanery finished and Ford began.

Toht's Arm

Finn said:
I always found it groansome when people constantly brought up Nathan Fillion simply because there were some similar mannerisms in Mal Reynolds.

What sold the idea of Fillion as Indy for me (years ago now; I think that time has passed) was something he said on the commentary track for Serenity regarding his action scenes. He said he tried to emulate Harrison Ford insofar as when his characters get hit, it looks like it really hurts. In the 80s, the era of walking brick walls like Schwartzenegger and Stallone, this was a bit of a rarity.

I think if and when Harrison is replaced, that's something the newbie will have to pay attention to.

curmudgeon

Finn said:
Are there really any other options? If there's no reboot, the obvious point on the timeline is between where Flanery finished and Ford began.

I can see where I wasn't clear.

What I meant was that I would have them make 1920's-set prequels with a younger actor, and then eventually transition the same actor into the rebooted version of the 1930's Indy. If success allows for it.

Hopefully that makes more sense. :eek:

Hanselation

Montana Smith said:
In the wake of GotG there's bound to be a lot more Indiana Jones Pratts about.

chris_pratt_indiana_jones-robert-pattinson-favorite-to-play-new-indiana-jones.jpeg

Filmaking is a business - the Disney concern is understanding and doing this buisness very well - and I think Chris Pratt would fit perfect into a Disney business plan for Indiana Jones 5 and 6 and 7...
If the torch will be handed over from Ford to Pratt in Indy 5 for me this would be definitley okay or even perfect.

kongisking

curmudgeon said:
I can see where I wasn't clear.

What I meant was that I would have them make 1920's-set prequels with a younger actor, and then eventually transition the same actor into the rebooted version of the 1930's Indy. If success allows for it.

Hopefully that makes more sense. :eek:

I'd be 100% game for this idea. :D

Duaner

Of all the suggestions that have ever been tossed around for this, Karl Urban is the one that would get my vote. I think he has that same charm that Harrison Ford had in his prime. Michael Fassbender would not be terrible either. Chris Pratt? I have mixed feelings about that one.

kongisking

Would it actually be stupid to contemplate casting for a gender-flipped Indy, given how popular those Hunger Games have become, and how Disney's still hellbent on defying its reputation for flat, generic and stereotyped female characters?

Lena Heady, perhaps?

Terminator-Lena-Headey_l.jpg

Someone with better photo-editing abilities than me should turn that jacket brown and smoosh an Indy fedora on her head to see how it looks. :p

TheFedora

kongisking said:
Would it actually be stupid to contemplate casting for a gender-flipped Indy, given how popular those Hunger Games have become, and how Disney's still hellbent on defying its reputation for flat, generic and stereotyped female characters?

Lena Heady, perhaps?

Terminator-Lena-Headey_l.jpg

Someone with better photo-editing abilities than me should turn that jacket brown and smoosh an Indy fedora on her head to see how it looks. :p

When I saw you mention 'gender-flipped Indy' and 'Hunger Games' I half expected to see you mention Jennifer Lawrence here. ;) I know she's the current Hollywood 'IT' Girl and perhaps I would not be so surprised.

kongisking

TheFedora said:
When I saw you mention 'gender-flipped Indy' and 'Hunger Games' I half expected to see you mention Jennifer Lawrence here. ;) I know she's the current Hollywood 'IT' Girl and perhaps I would not be so surprised.

Hey, be grateful I didn't suggest the other actress. :D

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Most of this thread is just a Google image search for who Ford "totally looked like" when he was forty (assuming the movie franchise would reboot in the exact same era). Well, 25 years ago Spy Magazine concluded in its "Separated at Birth" feature that Ford resembles Will Rogers.

Stoo

kongisking said:
Would it actually be stupid to contemplate casting for a gender-flipped Indy,
Yes, that would be stupid. Might as well change her racial background & sexual preference while you're at it.:p
Moedred said:
(assuming the movie franchise would reboot in the exact same era)
Indiana Jones movies aren't a franchise, though (even with the Disney purchase). They aren't now & never have been.;)

TheFedora

kongisking said:
Hey, be grateful I didn't suggest the other actress. :D

Now you have me morbidly curious as to which other actress you are referring to. Maybe I would rather not know...

kongisking

Stoo said:
Yes, that would be stupid. Might as well change her racial background & sexual preference while you're at it.:p

Well, I'm an expert on stupid things. Just ask Finn! :p

Pale, if your intention was to make those ladies look even more appealing to me, given my love affair with the fedora, then you succeeded flawlessly. :D

And TheFedora, if you be brave enough, go on a quest through the archives of my posts, and you'll see I have a well-documented, likely infamous affection for one actress. I'll be waiting for you outside the cave with a band of Hovitos. :p

Last edited:

TheFedora

Montana Smith said:
rs_560x415-131212112358-1024.Amy-Adams-American-Hustle-Fur-Hat.jl_.121213.jpg

She's packing a Webley and a bullwhip under the fur coat.

I saw that, and then I was thinking of that scene she has with Jennifer Lawrence in the movie. :eek:

KongisKing...I went though your posts and couldn't find it. I think the giant stone ball got me.:eek:

Montana Smith

TheFedora said:
I saw that, and then I was thinking of that scene she has with Jennifer Lawrence in the movie. :eek:

Indiana Jones gets kissed by a girl:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/qX-YFIuXn2Y?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheFedora said:
KongisKing...I went though your posts and couldn't find it. I think the giant stone ball got me.:eek:

And you were so, so close to the answer. ;)

TheFedora

A female Indy with Jennifer Lawrence as her Marion! Or considering how antagonistic they are in -that movie- Maybe she can be Elsa to her Indy?

I am sure that KongisKing will show up to enlighten us soon enough... Or he will throw me to the Hovitos for not being overly thorough.

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Lena Heady, perhaps?

And so close to losing the eye as well.

dredd8.jpg

OldIndy.jpg

TheFedora said:
I am sure that KongisKing will show up to enlighten us soon enough... Or he will throw me to the Hovitos for not being overly thorough.

The Hovitos are getting itchy feet.

But you'll kick yourself.