"You cheat, Dr. Jones, you cheat!"

oki9Sedo

I always thought the idea was Indy had an extra card by accident, and Shorty knew damn well it was an accident, but wasn't going to let an opportunity like that slip by. But someone I know thinks Indy was cheating.....anyone know?

DarthLowBudget

I don't think it really matters, because either situation, whether it be Short Round exploiting Indy's accident to further his own gains, or both of them trying to cheat each other, is pretty damned funny.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Considering his character in the film, it'd be conceivable that he actually cheating, but his relationship with Short Round and his tone during the scene makes me think that he was in the right, both before and after he discovered the card in Shorty's own sleeve.

Matinee Idyll

I think one of Spielbergs most worthy skills as a director is his ability to get great, naturalistic performances out of kids. I'm still astounded by Christian Bale every time I see 'Empire of the Sun'. Maybe he just casts well, at any rate, amazing.

Then of course, the other side of the coin is Jake Lloyd directed by George Lucas... there's a trainwreck and a half. Come to think of it, there wasn't a truly memorable performance anywhere in the prequels.

oki9Sedo

I always thought Jones was playing fair and genuinely made a mistake by taking an extra card. Wouldn't have thought he'd cheat in a card game with a kid!

oki9Sedo

ClintonHammond said:
I dismiss 98% of what comes out of his mouth....

HE can't tell ME how to enjoy any movie.

Who? Spielberg? If thats the case, well, since he directed the film, he's a better authority than most on whether Indy was cheating in that scene or not.

I always thought Indy made an honest mistake and Shorty, well aware it was a mistake and being the dodgy git that he is, used it as an opportunity to extort money off him. But if Spielberg says he was actually cheating, well, there you go.

"But if Spielberg says he was actually cheating..."

... then it's a testament to how lousy a director he really is, cause it certainly did READ like Indy was actually cheating.

oki9Sedo

ClintonHammond said:
"But if Spielberg says he was actually cheating..."

... then it's a testament to how lousy a director he really is, cause it certainly did READ like Indy was actually cheating.

If Spielberg says he was actually cheating, its a testament to how lousy a director he really is, because it read like he was actually cheating.....that doesn't make a great deal of sense to me Clint.

Sorry... mistyped....

It certainly -didn't- read like Indy was cheating.

Damn fingers

(So we have spell checkers and grammar checkers.... when is someone gonna invent a "What I really Meant" checker?!?!?! LOL )

Attila the Professor

Staff member
oki9Sedo said:
If Spielberg says he was actually cheating, its a testament to how lousy a director he really is, because it read like he was actually cheating.....that doesn't make a great deal of sense to me Clint.

If you'd read the rest of what Clinton's said in this thread, it'd be clear there was a typographical error and that he meant to say that it read like Indy wasn't cheating, or so I would think based on his other posts <I>and</I> the general tenor of his most recent post too. And I'm guessing you knew that anyhow.

Edit: My point's been made by the source itself, but since deletion's not an option, I'll leave my content be. I'll also throw in my belief that I also felt that Indy did not seem to be cheating in that scene.

oki9Sedo

Attila the Professor said:
If you'd read the rest of what Clinton's said in this thread, it'd be clear there was a typographical error and that he meant to say that it read like Indy wasn't cheating, or so I would think based on his other posts <I>and</I> the general tenor of his most recent post too. And I'm guessing you knew that anyhow.

Edit: My point's been made by the source itself, but since deletion's not an option, I'll leave my content be. I'll also throw in my belief that I also felt that Indy did not seem to be cheating in that scene.

No I didn't already know that. I hadn't read his previous post in a while so I didn't remember he believed the same thing I did. Apologies.